I formed Byrd Tutoring because I am passionate about helping students build the necessary skills and confidence to read and spell effectively and to develop a love for reading. I provide individualized, one-on-one tutoring, twice a week, to improve reading and spelling skills of children who struggle due to reading difficulties, learning disabilities, or Dyslexia.
My ultimate goal is for the students to be confident readers and spellers by helping them develop the necessary skills to enable them to discover the words, explore new places, and compose an adventure.
- Individualized tutoring
- Barton Reading & Spelling System
- Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing® (LiPS®)
- Dyslexia Screening
Experience & Qualifications
All of my training has been centered on the Orton-Gillingham methodology, which is recognized as the leading scientific research based approach to successfully teaching children to read.
- Bachelors of Science in Special Education, Minor in Psychology – University of Texas at Dallas
- Licensed in TX and NC to teach Special Education, K-8 and Psychology in High School
- Certified Barton Reading & Spelling Instructor • Implemented and coordinated the After School Tutoring program at East Wake Academy in Zebulon, NC using the Barton Reading & Spelling System.
- Was a special Education teacher at East Wake Academy working with K-4 students
- Trained in the Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing® (LiPS®) program.
- Completed Reading Foundations and Language! training provided by the NC Department of Public Instruction.
- Completed the HILLRAP (Hill Reading & Achievement Program) training and implemented this program at East Wake Academy.
- Received a Diverse Learners Endorsement from the Hill Center in Durham, NC.
- Dyslexia Screener; Barton Screening for Dyslexia Seminar
Please see the contact page to view some testimonials.